Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Validation from the Glueless

This just in, from a creative colleague of mine...
 
I've had my fingers in something creative ever since I was tall enough
to peek up over the top of a table---and for just about that long, I've
been bombarded by messages about how worthless those pursuits are to
the people around me. My family still thinks everything I do is a waste
of time.

As many of you know, I'm quite successful as a creative type.
Successful, despite being told by my nearest and dearest what a shame
it is I didn't do something more substantial with my life. My secret? I
don't listen to all that noise. I listen to my heart. If I like it, and
it makes me happy, it's a good thing. If I don't like it, I figure out
how to fix it, and it's still a good thing.

I never, ever listen to anyone else's opinion of my artwork. I don't
make it for them. I make it for me. If they don't get it, that's their
shortcoming, not mine. A simple "I'm sorry you don't understand it" is
usually all the reply that's necessary---and generally all they'll get
from me. I don't feel the need to justify my joy.

Don't look for validation from The Glueless. You are your own
validation. Make things, and be happy.

Lisa
Go Make Something - http://www.GoMakeSomething.com
Ten Two Studios - http://www.TenTwoStudios.com
 

No comments: